Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Cool School

Today I saw a really great documentary as part of the Revelation Film Festival, at its new home in Mount Lawley.. it was about the founders and artists of the Ferus gallery in Los Angeles in the 50s and I have to say I am positively inspired! The documentary tracked the rise of abstract expressionism and later ceramic and pop art in the west of the country, and its rise to mainstream popularity. These guys didn't give a fuck about what the east coast was doing, or commercial art at the time, they just made a place to exhibit works they were excited about and had parties doing it.


I was definitely born in the wrong era! Everything they did was so new and exciting, pushing boundaries that haven't existed since I've been born. I sometimes doubt whether that kind of passion and fury will exist again but I suppose they didn't predict it then, I won't be able to predict it now. Watching this film and working in an incredible multi-arts complex for the past week has made me intensely fierce about art and I am adding "open a gallery" to my list of things to do in my life. Even if it's a gallery/store/studio type deal or something more prolific, I just want to be doing this forever and ever and always feel this good about it. You know?

I have one more week of full-time work then I move back home and I think I will experiment with form and colour on paper to get out some creative backlog I have stirring. I might update with my progress later on! ADIEU!

1 comment:

natalie. said...

Oh Jessica! I am feeling everything you're saying!!! Every film festival I have worked at I've felt the same way, like I don't care what form it comes in but I want to be doing this for the rest of my life. And a reaction like yours to this film is exactly why I want to be involved in film festivals! You may never have seen this film without Revelation and had this burst of inspiration and I want to have a part making that happen for people.

I like it how we're on the same page about alot of things ;)